Re: pete's computer disposal

--- Sroundtable@aol.com wrote:

> Put in perspective, even if Pete disposed of the one
> computer he used to access the site just one time in
> 1999, the sex offender Op Ore is supposedly after
> would not have been able to keep from viewing child
> porn on other computers, or gaining physical access
> to such filth and have it at their home.  There
> would most definitely have been evidence.  The
> argument put forth by these writers is entirely
> specious for this very reason.
>
> Most assume that when someone gets caught doing
> something, it's not the first time they have done
> it.  ALL evidence in THIS case, however, points to
> the fact that Pete did only do this the one time
> four years ago, and has been crusading against it
> ever since.  Is this someone who deserves to be
> branded a sex offender?  One can be mad at Pete for
> being so careless and naiive, which is justified.
> But what has been done to Pete is the antithesis of
> justice.
>
> Mc

Mc - I have had many mixed feelings about everything
that has happened since January and especially the
whole "caution" and Sex Offender list over the past
few days.  Just as many others on the list have done,
I've varied from shock, anger at Pete, and anger at
the system for treating him unfairly.

But at the end of these struggles with myself over the
whole situation, the idea that you've outlined above
sums up my gut feeling about Pete's actions.  If there
were more to this (i.e., Pedophilia/multiple viewings
of child porn), it would have been found.  Pete
couldn't have just stopped viewing, even if the
original computer was gone.  Someone would have come
out of the woodwork with "stories".  They would have
found pictures/evidence in his home.  Because they
haven't found anything else, in my heart I don't think
that he's guilty of anything other than poor
judgement.

I think in a couple of weeks, this will have all died
down & whatever plans Pete/Roger have for The Who will
go forward.  For the general public, most people will
have forgotten about it.

Just my opinion.
Carly