Re: Jane, you ignorant...just kidding.

I don't have a problem with the flinching, that's understandable, but it's
also counterproductive, and it's this counterproductively that is upsetting
me as well. Pete has always been bi-polar (not making a diagnosis here). He's a rowdy
take no shit guy, but also an intellectual. As Time put it "One of rock's
great human conundrums - aggressive softy, poetic guitar buster".
This also gets him in trouble from time to time.
At this time, he needs to focus on the softy and poetic part of his
personality.
I guess you've noticed that I disagree. I tend to fall into the "good defense is a good offense" camp. Again, it's isn't always appropriate, but I think it will work out better in this case than "a soft answer turneth away wrath." It's likely Pete could avoid some direct conflict by keeping a low profile until the blame game dies down, and then start a modest campaign against child porn that would be useful. But, I'd address it right now.

If Pete had a heart-felt reason for wanting to know what was on that website, then I'd back him that it was a moral and legitimate use. He should now have something to say about it that actually comes from the experience, and he should take every opportunity to say it.

>I know I would be flinching too, so I don't hold him to a higher
>standard than I have for myself. Only human, you know.

Yet, that shouldn't prevent someone from pointing out this mistake and
saying "hey, you've fucked up enough, why you making it worse?? Give 'the
people (NOT JUST US FANS) what they want...an apology".
And I don't buy for a second that an apology is a sign of weakness. It's
actually the opposite.

> That being said, he's completely IN
>character. Not to mention the fact that when you operate the way a Pete
>Townshend does, then you are also vulnerable. Remember the "I know what
>it's like to be a woman" bullshit that was so controversial?

My apologies if I've insulted you, but I can't imagine that you really
believe Pete is just another shmo.
If you do, then ok. But even so, wouldn't the word apology come to your
mind if you were in his shoes?
Right during the "furor" of what Phoenix House is saying, would you come out
and be all denial like?
Not denial. He needs to attack their premise. He's not to blame for this, and transferring blame to him (and other users) is counterproductive. It will never stop the flow of child porn.

I wouldn't.
I'd humbly apologize for the giving of money and the pain that it has caused
those who have suffered pedophilia abuse.
If he cares so much about the abuse victims, why wouldn't he apologize to
those same people who now are angry with him??
Because he's not responsible for their abuse. It would be good to say he feels their pain and that he's one of them, but he shouldn't take the blame for their abuse.

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHH!
The very people he's tried to help, are now against him!
Don't you think he should be motivated to try and quell that storm?
If I were in his shoes, I would.
Attack it. Blaming the users is one of those ideas that needs to be smashed and deconstructed. It's the producers who actually rape children, and you will never get at them while you're transfering blame to someone else.

I still hold out hope that Pete will calm himself, and revert to his
"softy - poetic" side, and address the hurt that he has caused.
He can do this, but he must still refuse to accept blame. The hurt isn't something that he intended, by the way. It's a byproduct.

keets