Woke up Free but Branded by his Fans Too?

All right people, settle down, settle down.  There's lots of anger
generated at Mr. Townshend here, and while it's very real, I'm not so
sure that it's proper at this time.  Allow me to attempt a feeble
defense for him, if I may.

If you had or have a friend who has been through an extremely traumatic
experience, would you:

A)  Tell them to shut the fuck up, take their medicine, admit their
faults, and constantly badger them into apologizing for doing you wrong?

Or...

B)  Expect that they might be a little messed up from their ordeal and
try to gently help them through their trauma?

Personally, I would lean towards "B", but I see a lot of you are leaning
towards "A", and rather unfairly at that.  I see a huge double standard
regarding Pete's "I wake up Free/Branded" statements here, that
definitely need addressing.  First of all, let it be known that I think
Pete should accept his fate for what he did.  He screwed up and now he's
paying for it.  NO doubting that.  But to attack him for feeling
somewhat defensive in his comments, no.  Shit no.  I can't help seeing
that some of the most harsh criticism of him here, sounds more personal
than rational.  Like this whopper:

>You fucked up in a big way by paying this organization money!
>I would be looking to sue your ass if my child had been subject to the
kind of abuse
>and rape that occurs to support these sites!  You supported them!
>You gave them your money!  You are an accomplice.

C'mon, we're getting a little excited here, aren't we?  I mean, anyone
here ever smoke a joint?  Snort a line of coke before?  If you apply the
above accusation and responsibility on Pete, then YOU are just as guilty
for supporting the illegal drug trade, which in case you didn't know,
also has financial ties to child porn, prostitution, murder, etc, etc.
Granted we have parents on this list and their fear/anger is highly
justified, but to accuse Pete of this horrible thing is a little too
much.

IF, you have ever experimented with drugs - JUST ONCE, then by the above
concept, you are just as guilty as Pete is.  Now on paper, perhaps that
is correct, but in reality, it's something different.  If you bought a
quarter ounce of pot ONCE in your life, does that make you an
"accomplice" to Pablo Escobar?  Again, maybe on paper, but not really.
Do you think it would be fair to arrest every casual pot smoker for
every crime committed by the drug lords and cartels?  If you believe the
above statement, then by default we should.  There's no middle ground.

Pete is in the same category.  He fucked up and will pay for it until he
dies and even afterward. His legacy is forever tarnished as well.
That's worse than some sick scumbag getting fifty years in prison.  The
nameless scum loses his freedom and that's about it.  Pete Townshend
loses his credibility, his career, his legacy, etc...  He has already
been punished and he doesn't need to apologize to me.

Pete Townshend is a fragile, stupid, human being - just like the rest of
us, and if he sounds a little bitter at being labeled a "sex offender",
why shouldn't he be?   He can rail about his perceived injustice all he
wants.  I think he's entitled to it.  You try spending your professional
life raising money and awareness for charities, only to be remembered as
a kid fucker.  See how rational you come across.  I don't blame him for
being bitter.  Yes, he made the mistake and he's paying for it.  Now you
want to take away his right to say that he's not a sex offender?
Personally, I believe that Pete is NOT a sex offender, but the law being
what it is, he is being punished for his stupid mistake.  I believe he
did exactly what he said he was - if you are going to expose something,
then you'd better see for yourself what it is you are exposing.  He did
it illegally, so he pays the price.  Unfortunately, he'll be paying that
price for the rest of his life.  That's punishment enough.

Pete is a human being in an extremely difficult situation - cut the man
some slack.  What, you expect him to stand tall and let the shit hit him
without flinching?  Perhaps he could compose a brilliant piece of art
explaining all of the world's woes while simultaneously curing them?
What the fuck do you want from him?  He's a brilliant artist and a
"hero" of sorts to us all.  But behind the celebrity, behind the genius,
he's just a skinny middle aged guy from London with a big nose and
nothing more.  Don't hold him to any standard you yourself wouldn't be
held against.  He's been punished enough; don't rub salt in the wound.

I'm sorry if my thoughts are a little jumbled, but I'm a little freaked
out.  If you believe him to be innocent of pedophilia, then give him a
break.  He's been through hell.

Jim in Colorado