The Clouds Thicken

	From: "Schrade, Scott"
	Subject: Re: Independent: Townshend U.S. travel ban "likely"

>> But a US source said that it was "highly unlikely"
>> anyone on the Sex Offenders Register would be granted
>> one, particularly one connected to child abuse.
>
>Oh.  Fuck.  But it's Pete Townshend, damn it!  Pete Townshend!!  Ugh.  I
>feel so helpless.  This is all so beyond our control.

Yealp.

>> "He gave money to child molesters, which doubtless
>> paid for the next child-rape photo session.
>
>Anyone else wince or squirm after reading this statement?  I sure did.
>Makes me totally understand people who are upset about Pete's "lenient"
>sentence.

You and I seem to be going through the same gamut of emotion.

I'll tell you, I was pretty pissed at Pete last night.  Still am.
I can't recall a time when I've ever been truly disappointed by Pete.  Last night was the first.
I'm still grappling with that emotion, and what it means to me personally.
I am deeply saddened and quite confused that Pete would willingly give money to such an organization.  He's not stupid.  He knew that by giving money it would pay for future rapes, etc.

I've got an 8 month old at home whom I love with all my might and heart.  I'd kill anyone who tried to bring harm to him.  Like brutally kill, like Mel Gibson in The Patriot kill.  It makes me literally shudder to think for a moment of him being subjected to what those babies on that site were subjected to.
The lines that really got to me were the fact that the press that were shown the images from that site all needed to get counseling afterwards.
If Pete accidentally had stumbled on a similar site in the past, then he must have known what he was paying for.  WHY??????????   Why the fuck would you go back and pay?????????
You dumb motherfucker!
I'm *really* having a hard time getting past this.

With that said, I can better understand his punishment.  I don't see it as a "Pete is cleared".  I see it as a "you've got problems, and we need to keep our eye on your ass".
I can't blame anyone for taking this line.
Yes, it's Pete Townshend.  But, so what.

>My "But this is Pete Townshend, damn it!" defense doesn't hold
>up here.

Nope, it doesn't.
Pete really fucked up this time.
He can paint it anyway he wants, but he really fucked up by giving money to this organization.

>What can you say to a statement like that?

Nothing.  Except to step back from our fandom and reassess the *entire* situation from a less biased perspective.

>Listing Pete's
>charitable efforts even rings hollow.

It *all* rings hollow.

>Ugh.  Confusion.  Apprehension.  Confusion.  Apprehension.  This is all
>so bittersweet.

I'm having trouble holding onto anything sweet about this at all.
Pete fucking gave money to people who promote the rape of babies.
Say that to yourselves a couple of times.  Say that to your friends.  Say that to your family..............If you dare.
I can't.
I can't even forward any of the articles.
I can't even mention his name.

While the travel ban may indeed be the last nail in The Who's coffin, I think Pete has bigger troubles.
Re-connecting and reassuring his fans had better be priority one.
I for one am looking at him in a different light today.

The sun may be shining, but not for me.

Kevin in VT