Petes Guitar work and EVH quote, Beatles conversion

Rich, re:
Don't forget what Eddie VanHeineken (recent quote on Howard Stern by David Lee tight pants) once wrote to Pete...
"Hey, just listened to LAL. Those are some great fuck ups on there." Or something like that.

Thats pretty much what he did say. Eddie Van Halen has always cited PT as a major influence in songwriting and rhythm playing. As a matter of fact he usually points out YMB and MG from LAL as some of his alltime favorite music. Along with "I Want You" by the Beatles and side 2 of Abbey Road and "I'm So Glad" from the Goodbye Cream album. Not to mention Allan Holldsworths work with Bruford.

Pete's live lead playing has always been admittedly on the sloppy side but I think thats part of the appeal. RECKLESS FRUSTRATION. One of the things that I feel often is FRUSTRATION. Frustration with everything. And I can hear Pete expressing Frustration in alot of his early songs and it definately comes across in his playing. The environment had alot to do with this I'm sure as well. Being so loud onstage along with being so animated and using bridgecables for strings it's difficult to be 'exact'. JAE was always the most precise and he had to stand still all the time! And in the old days whenever Pete would kick on the overdrive pedal it was virtually impossible to play clean, fluid lines anyway. Besides, that what gives us that beautiful orgasm of feedback that we hear on the Woodstock Sparks.
Guitarists tech notes: Today, PT uses .011 gauge strings (which I use as well. perfect for thick tone on lead and rhythm as well as occasional slide work if thats your thing) In the LAL days he was using .015 gauge!!! Try bending one of those up a whole step without ripping off a fingernail or two.

peace

Andy

"I don't talk to musicians...
they might influence me."