Pete and "W"

Keets writes:

> This was broadcast on TV, so it wasn't especially private.  I suspect Pete's
> reaction may have had to do with the fact the song was used in a political
> context, moreso than a comment about permission or royalties.  It's as if
> Bush implied that he had Pete's support.  Although Pete has been quoted
> making political statements about matters in the UK, I doubt if he wants to
> mix into US politics.

Just because an event is covered by the media doesn't disqualify it as a private event.  There wasn't commercial time sold on it, nor did the Bush people purchase TV time for it.  Victory parties after elections all over the country are covered by the media but are still not public events.  I define a public event as one in which anyone can go, either by just showing up or by purchasing a ticket.  The Bush event was neither.

Keets writes:

> It may not be a matter of a different political perspective.  It's just that
> Pete may not want his music to be used in any political context at all.
> Plus, I think the Bush team edited the song to change the
> message.

Well, I think they left out the "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" line and faded out after the scream, or something like that.  I hardly think Pete should take offense when his music is used to sell cars and allergy medicine.  He really should lighten up.  It was not a big enough deal for him to call Bush a cunt, and it would be awfully egotistical to think that somehow Bush wanted to imply that by playing the song he had Pete's endorsement.  I doubt people saw the event and thought, "Wow, Pete Townshend supports W!"

Mc