WHO'S NEXT Deluxe Review

First off, if any of you have read Luke P.'s review of this release you know
what a great job he did.  I don't always agree with you, Luke, but that was a
well-written & informative review.

I'll keep my review shorter.  I won't go into as much detail as Luke did be-
cause....well....I'm not insane.  ;-)

Part One:  The Album Proper

Luke's right.  There is less high-end compared to the past release.  It has
more of a "matte" finish than a "glossy" finish, if I can borrow an analogy
from photography.

Part Two:  The N.Y. Record Plant Tracks

Some of the edge has been taken off these track from past releases - legit
& bootleg.  They're softened somewhat.  More produced.  Moon's drums
don't have that naked overbearing sound found on other releases.  These
songs have more of a finished studio-polished quality about them.

And that's not bad.  The tracks are mixed evenly & in a controlled manner
giving them a nice consistency.  I did, however, find myself at times missing
the open spaciness of previous versions.  But that may be because I'm more
used to those versions.

Part Three:  The Young Vic Tracks

I was happy with the sound here.  There's a bit of hiss, but the bottom end
is strong, the instrument levels are powerful, the vocals are loud.  This is
raw & exciting Who.

I own boots from this show & they all sound dreadful.  Plus, the boots led
me to believe that it was a sub-par performance by the band, as well.

But I must say, I enjoyed these tracks immensely.  Sure, there are some
bum notes here & there, & some fuck-ups, but overall this is a very solid,
energetic Who performance.  That surprised me.

Some comments:  "Love Ain't For Keeping" & "Time Is Passing" are both
brilliant.  Pete has some guitar trouble during "Young Man Blues" & we
lose him for a bit.

Some songs are ragged:  "Bargain," "Too Much of Anything," "Getting In
Tune."  But as Pete explains from stage, they're new songs.

"Won't Get Fooled Again" is interesting.  Still in its early stage.  Moon's
snares on his snare drum buzz throughout the synth breaks.  Perhaps this
is the "hiss" that Luke P. hears on the studio version.  Not a suspension
of the No-Noise effect but simply the inevitable buzz of Moon's snare drum.

The CD's are packaged like the Deluxe Live At Leeds.  Nice pictures,
nice booklet.  Clear slipcase.  Good job on the packaging.

Well, there's not a whole lot to criticize about this release.  The Young
Vic live tracks (all of disc 2) are especially enjoyable.  Go out & buy it.
Make it the soundtrack to your upcoming Springtime.  Long live The Who!

Final Grade:  A

- SCHRADE in Akron