Re: ICSFM

----- Original Message ----- From: "Zenswhen" <bushchoked@yahoo.com>

> >They probably tried it a few times in practice but soon found out that
> they couldn't really pull it off live. Like I said, it's a difficult
> song.
>
> Maybe, but in my imaginary live version it sounds a lot like Young Man
Blues.

That's how I feel.  I'd love to hear a Live at Leeds version with pounding
bass, smashing drums and searing guitar.  Which is why I'm so interested to
hear that Mansfield version.  It's as close to that as we're ever likely to
get.  I don't want to buy another Encore show with that popping bass
problem, though, so I'd love to hear about the sound from anyone who has it.

The Kids Are Alright version, by the way, is the only song that consistently
makes me turn down the bass.  The speakers just can't handle it!  I used to
play it loud just to feel the breeze coming out of the vents.  It's music to
shred woofers to.  (You want The Who?  You can't handle The Who!)

> >When you think about it, it's a pretty depressing, angry, pessimistic,
> hopeless song!
>
> I don't know...I think the chorus is pretty upbeat-sounding.
>
> >I'm not saying that depressing songs never make it to the top of the
> charts
>
> Think: Pearl Jam. Nirvana. Alice In Chains. Soundgarden.

I don't think it's any more pessimistic than some of their other early
singles, or others of the era either.  The tone is a lot less
tongue-in-cheek than, say, Legal Matter.  But is it lyrically any different
than, say, Under My Thumb?

Musically, I don't think it's terribly harsh.  It's got a psychedelic feel
in places that should have been in keeping with the times.  Actually,
perhaps it was ahead of it's time.

> >I thought that it was common knowledge that the reason this song wasn't
> played live was because of the multi layered harmonies and if I remember
>
> Jon:
>
> Never stopped The Who in the past, but it's not "common" knowledge since I
haven't heard or > seen it hinted at anywhere in 35 years!

Again, I agree.  They had to adapt a lot of their songs to be played live by
a four piece.  Why should ICSFM be any different?  I accept the explanation
that Pete felt slighted that the song didn't do better in the charts more
(that is common knowledge, for sure).  But it has become much more popular
over the years, which might be why they keep trying to include it in their
set list I suppose.

Jim