Re: supposed Pete deal links

Brian's subject line is apt: these reports appear to
be based on leaks and conjecture, no official word yet
from authorities or Pete.  That being said, my hope as
I read them is that Pete works out a better deal than
is being described.

If he has to admit guilt to any of the charges he was
arrested under suspicion of, the media aided by the
police will never categorically assert that he wasn't
up to something very bad. Remember the recent case of
the other guy in the UK who the police let off with
the ringing endorsement that "we don't have enough
evidence to prosecute?"  the implication was clear
that they believed he was guilty.  Unless the
authorities expressly state that he did not possess,
make, or distribute child porn and that he only showed
naivte and poor judgement in looking at sites to "see
what was out there" for legitimate research, then the
sordid impression will remain and be amplified by the
news reports and late-night comics intent on selling a
paper or getting a laugh.

I hope that segment of the news and entertainment
media that have been fair so far will help Pete get
his side of the story out and embrace him - especially
high-profile venues like Letterman, Time, etc.

Ken

=====
I SUPPORT PETE TOWNSHEND.
NO 'What Ifs' NECESSARY.