Re: New Pete Diary

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge there has never been a first or
second hand report that said that Pete's credit card was charged, as opposed
to simply registered for a "free tour". By this I mean neither Pete, Rog,
Matt Kent, or anyone in the Who camp ever said this. These statements have
been thrown about by the press, but we have seen numerous examples of their
carelessness with words in reporting Pete's ordeal. I am not willing to
indict him for this specific act of stupidity until someone credible tells
me whether it happened or not.

Additionally, I would love Pete to acknowledge what he put us through, but
if he's not ready yet or ever, that's okay. He is very bitter about this
experience (and rightfully so), and he is still healing. His diary entries
seem to assume that, as fans, we care about his welfare and his music, so
that is what he is reporting to us at this point, with a little "venting"
thrown in. Until he is able to get out and about more, he may not even know
how confused and let down some of us are.

When this first happened, I was talking to someone in the rock business who
was friends with Pete (and the band) in the 70's. I couldn't understand why
Pete didn't think he would get in trouble for his vigilante (for lack of a
better word) crusade. He tried to explain to me that when someone has been
incredibly famous for 40 years, they don't always react the way we "Average
Joes" would. For instance, (without presuming to speak for him) Pete's fame
may have created  a double-edged sword, whereby he felt he was in a greater
position than others to make a difference in the fight against child porn,
plus he also felt he had more latitude to do "whatever it takes". This could
be why he is more bitter than apologetic.

Just my two cents.

-Chris in Cleveland