My Meeting Roger Daltrey Story

I know lots of you have already had the pleasure of meeting Roger Daltrey.  Here's my story.  He was in New York to raise money for the Teenage Cancer Trusy at a celebration to mark the end of Rock N Roll Fantasy Camp, a camp for adults who want to pay lots of money to spend a week or two with professional musicians learning how to play in a rock band. The event was held at this rock club in the Village that probably held 100-200 people. Very intimate! I had to suffer through lots of amateurish covers  there were about 8 camper "bands" who played 3-4 songs each. About half of them did Who covers and they invited RD to sing with them. He was a great sport about it, but said later that he didnt know he was going to have to sing with all the bands. It was funny to see him holding up his hand and counting "1,2,3,4" to help the bands along... They covered "I Cant Explain" "Wont Get Fooled Again" and "Squeezebox" twice! I havent see him sing that before, so that was really fun He
 said: "Now you all know the chorus, in and out...in and out..."  Come to think of it, a lot of his on stage banter had to do with sex...Between sets, hed come out with David Fishof who was the organizer to auction off stuff to raise money for the charity. Does anyone know the connection with Fishof, they seemed quite close.  Fishof said that RD was among the first callers after 9/11 to see if he was OK.  RD was very funny - he's got a quick sense of humor. At the end of the night, he performed with the other professional musicians  they hadnt rehearsed together but as he put it "rough seemed to be a theme for the night"... They played 3 pretty botched Who songs and a couple of other songs, with RD playing guitar. Hes quite good, actually. "Stand by Me" was great. Anyway...I met him by walking back stage. It was as easy at that. He was signing autographs and talking to a few fans, so I joined the group. He was so nice, taking time with everyone, even giving a backstage tour to
 someones daughter  he turned to me and said "Oh, he brought his daughter. How great!" He drank lots of tea. He was so fantastic and gracious.  All I said was something like "It's a total honor and a pleasure to meet you.  Thank you. Thank you., Etc."  He said " You're very welcome. It's my pleasure."  He autographed a picture for me, took a picture with me, and wrapped his arms tightly around my waist.  What a thrill!  In the end, what was really interesting about the night, was seeing what a difference major talent makes on stage. One could really see why RD and The Who achieved mega-stardom and why others just play for fun...

-Inga