Re: Differing Perspectives

Lela, re

Differing Perspectives

> > About Tatu, this may become a polarizing group.  One government
> > official in the UK was quoted as saying the new sex offenses act
> > would make it possible to prevent Tatu from performing in the UK.

This is probably due to the formal prohibition of sexual acts in public in the new Sexual offences act.

> > Then someone on one of the Who lists replied that this was an
> > attempt to repress sexual expression by gay and lesbian youth. A
> > conflict building up?

From here in the UK the main issues with tatu are that they

Are both over 16 therefore there is no peadophile issue - per se.

Their manager had marketed them as teeny lesbians. Actually, to the tabloid press's disappointment, neither is a lesbian, and from interviews I've seen I get the impression they aren't the sharpest knives in the draw and are going along with it because frankly the lifestyle in tatu was better than in the back streets of Moscow.

This marketing of course is used by the press - here - in a peadohile spun way. The simple fact is that the manager is one sick, twisted and deeply disturbing individual who is taking marketing to a shocking extreme.

Finally, no matter what you and I might think about hypocrisy etc in relation to Pete, tatu has bit the dust big style in the UK. In fact, back in May, their "triumphant" UK tour of - oh, 3 or 4 places - was abruptly cancelled because no one had bought any tickets.

The market they were aimed at in the UK - children who watch saturday morning pop shows - clearly had a damn sight more sense about this act than the adult world.

Finally, their appearance on the Eurovision song contest had all the signs of a "contractual obligation". And they proved that they couldn't sing or perform live as well.

tatu as an act are dead. I doubt we will hear any more of them except in a kind of "whatever happened to tatu?? You knpw, nudge nudge wink wink, the lesbians".

Cheers,

John