::a timeline of Pete Townshend and the Internet:: part I

::a timeline of Pete Townshend and the Internet::
Compiled by Ken Hawkins ) 2003

This chronology records Pete Townshends statements
about the Internet and against the child pornography
widely available on it.  His statements are presented
along with the concurrent timelines of his music and
performances, the Whos activities, the Gary Glitter
case, and the investigations of U.S. and U.K.
authorities.  It is intended to shed light on the
when and what if not the how and why.
Endnotes document the quotes and sources.  Corrections
or additions are welcome.

::1991::
September: Pete broke his right wrist in a bicycling
accident on Friday the 13th.  During his recuperation
he visited with his Mother and discussed the period
when he was a young boy and was left to live with his
Grandmother.  He learned that he was traumatized or
perhaps sexually abused in some form at this time.
His anger about it persisted for years and came out in
his music and performances on stage. For me, he
later wrote, a few minor incidents seem to have
created a dark side to my nature which thankfully
emerges only in creative work like Tommy.

::1993::
June: Psychoderelict released.  In an interview that
month, Pete talked about Lifehouse and was asked, do
you cruise the Internet?  He replied, Oh sure, yeah.
I have sex on computer all the time. I'm into putting
my head on females bodies and all kinds of stuff. Out
on the bulletin board I can wear whatever I like.
Writers cant catch me there. Well, the fact of the
matter is that because the network is a network,
everybody can catch anybody. Everybody knows what
everybody else is doing.

::1996::
Oct  Nov: The Who took Quadrophenia on tour in the
U.S.  Gary Glitter played the Godfather and was sacked
after the tour.  In December PJ Proby took over the
role for shows in the UK.

::1997::
In A Different Bomb Pete stated that his attempts to
write a document on the wide availability of child
pornography on the Internet began in 1997.

Spring and Summer: Quadrophenia tour continued through
Europe and the U.S. with Proby. In June Pete played a
solo benefit concert for Chicagos Maryville Academy,
a childrens charity, at which he presented it with a
check for $1,000,000.

November: Gary Glitter was arrested after a Bristol
computer repair shop found child pornography on his
laptop computer. He was released on bail after being
questioned by detectives.

=====
UNCONDITIONAL SUPPORT FOR PETE TOWNSHEND.
NO 'What Ifs' NECESSARY.
.
.
.