DVD Burn capabilities

	>From: Joe Lewinski
	>Subject: DVD Burn capabilities
>Kevin wrote:
>
	>>Hmmm...ME TOO KEN!
	>>I now have DVD burn capabilities, so if that's an issue "we can
work it out".

	>>Kevin in VT
>Kevin:
>
>I am very jealous.  What hardware (PC/Drive) /software and OS are you
using?

Since you and Scott were a "pair" ;-) for this show, I had a feeling you
were watching this exchange.  :-)

Yeah, I'm pretty psyched about our new set up.  No more having to miss Pete
and Rabbitt video due to a crappy old computer.
With a newborn, we had to upgrade our archiving ability (the *real* reason).

Purchased a new and powerful PC (actually got a Dell since Consumer Reports
rated them as having least problems and best CS, and they also price
match.).  Running on Windows XP.
Add to that a new digital still (Nikon Coolpix 4500 - wife works for
Nikon.....HOOK!), and a new DRV-tr25 (something like that) Digital Sony
Camcorder (again high review in Consumer Reports).
Searching sites off of epinons.com saved us hundreds of $$ and allowed us to
upgrade significantly.  epinions.com rocks.
The DVD burner was a bit more problematic given the current state of flux
that the industry is in regarding formats, etc.
As you probably know there is DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, and not all DVD
players use all.  It's kind of a risk buying a burner, because you don't
know what the industry standard format will be in the next year or so
(again, knowing the field you work in, you probably already know this).
It's kind of where Beta vs. VHS was in the beginning.  A bunch of Sony
Betamax's went into the landfills pretty quick, if you remember.
But, Sony has a new burner out DRH0500 (something like that..I can get you
exact model #'s if needed) that burns in all DVD formats, and also all CD
formats, and VCD too.  No one else can make that claim.  It's pretty hot at
the moment, and will probably be on back order.  We had to wait a while to
get ours.  Ordered it right from Sony as no one else had it due to demand.
Order on-line and get free shipping and no tax.
At the moment we're just using the software that came with each item.  Added
Adobe PhotoShop Elements (have access to full version here at work if
needed) for good measure.
We may end up buying a good video editing software if our current one shows
too many limitations.

>Joe in Philly  - enjoying the Hershey show, and now wondering about
Camden...

I've got both from Encore (Merry Christmas to me!) and haven't listened to
them yet!
Too busy working to pay for my new toys.

Kevin in VT