Re: Keith vs classic rock drummers

> In any event, I couldn't help but notice the stark contrast between how
Ringo and Watts played, very basic time keeping with a few uncomplicated
fills, and what Keith did (many complicated fills and rolls played in time).

Well in Ringo's case he had no choice.  I was watching the Anthology DVDs
and he said the screaming was so loud all he could was keep the beat because
anything else would not be heard and the band would be lost.
This led to the Beatles to stop touring, the musicianship was slacking and
no one was listening.  They also played in the days before proper PA's or a
monitoring system.  At Shea Stadium they played through the intercom system
used to announce baseball players. :)

At the same time The Who were still playing small clubs with equal equipment
which was blasting their audiences
into submission.  A friend of mine who saw The Who 9 times in 1965 said they
were never louder.

If you want a good comparison of the major guitarists, drummers and bass
players of the 60s and The Who history in amp and PA development check this
site:
http://twtd.bluemountains.net.au/cream

Bruce