Who's Last

Yikes. Trying to catch up the "album of the week" theme.

Missed the boat for "Sell Out" (FWIW - one of my all-time v fave Who albums, Favourite song: "Our Love Was", least: "Armenia, City In The Sky" - not counting bonus tracks on re-issue, because "Hall of the Mountain King" would get the woden spoon in that case), and "Face Dances".

Briefly: FD was the first Who album since "Quadrophenia" that I did NOT buy on the day of issue. I was living in a boarding house in Scotland, away from audio eqpt, and pretty bloody miserable too. I finally got it about six months after it came out, and my immediate reaction was one of disappointment. That remains.

Played it to my wife last week, and she wandered off after the first few tracks, remarking that it sounded "like a West Coast band - almost the Eagles." Hmmm. Well, Sue's tastes pretty much begin and end with Noel Coward, so maybe...

Personally, I just thought it sounded limp - and that Pete's songcraft had almost run out. John's efforts aren't too clever either!

Favourite: "Daily Records" (honestly!!) Least fave: "You" (only just pips "Cache Cache" mind...)

So - to "Who Last". Well, after "It's Hard" (that one's going to be fun!!!), I frankly neither cared nor knew when / if a new Who album would be out (although I do remember holding an import copy of "Who's Missing" in my hands in a Sheffield record shop and almost digesting an organ because I just could NOT afford it).

So, I finally got this one about six months after the event too. Utter pants. Crap version of "I Can't Explain" - howwwww????? Lousy, dead, deadly, bored, wide-screen stadium-rock sound - lousy efforts. Just NOT what The Who ever meant to me.

Best: "Long Live Rock" - for the faux-punky coda. Worst: ummmm - "BBE"?? Is that on it? I just don't have the will to listen to this one ...

Great news about Isle of Wight. Now THAT'S raised a smile.

Merry Wotsit and Seasoned Sauce to one and all.

Simonl

Get dial-up Internet access now with our best offer: 6 months @$9.95/month! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup