Re: Doors Next Deluxe

> > What mystery?  His guitar crapped out on him.
>
> Do tell.  Did it just die on him or did he kill it?

Sounds to me like he knocked it unconscious.

> You think that space suit/boiler suit was bothering him?  I always liked
> the white boiler suit better anyway.

Yeah, me, too.  The shiny one defeated the whole purpose of the image:  a
rock star/factory worker, sweating at his job, like the bloke down the
street.

> So Kevin Dillon's portrayal was pretty accurate then?

To a degree.  The movie makes it seem like Densmore was almost *always*
in a pissy mood which wasn't the case.

> It's been a while since I've read No One Here Gets Out Alive.

Well, you can get the story from the horse's mouth; pick up a copy of
Densmore's RIDERS ON THE STORM which came out about a decade ago.  Good
book.

> What did you think of Stone's "The Doors"?

I thought Kilmer did a great job, also.  I have a mixed reaction to the
film.  I loved it when I first saw it but I really can't stand to watch it
now.

It's just so difficult to capture a person's total character in a 2-hour
film.  Stone's movie, I think, focused too much of the hedonistic, troubled
Jim.  Not enough on the bookworm, philosophical, comical Jim.  The movie
just moves too fast in order to capture all the highlights/lowlights.  It
feels shallow & incomplete to me now.

I think at the time it came out I was just happy that The Doors were being
featured in a big-budget Hollywood movie.  And, as I said, Kilmer's fine
performance probably distracted me from some of the problems in the film
that are now evident to me.

- SCHRADE in Akron

Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and
swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man.
	- Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)