RE: Zak, Keith -and our annoying cousins

I agree that Zak's playing is pretty straightforward on the Healer's album so I wasn't sure what to expect when I saw them live.  I have to say that he really opened it up.  There wasn't much room with the songs and the way Marr plays, but he was powerful and improvised a great deal; he played a great deal like a lead instrument.  I think with a more free-wheeling guitarist (Pete) in the studio, he will come out of his shell.

Doc Oz

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Schrade, Scott [mailto:sschrade@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
	Sent: Thu 8/14/2003 7:57 AM
	To: 'thewho@xxxxxxxx'
	Subject: Re: Zak, Keith -and our annoying cousins

	> I'm just wondering what he's gonna come up with in the studio should
	> that new music make it out.

	It's always been an unsubstantiated theory of mine that Kenny Jones,
	when he began work on Who studio tracks, kept his drumming rather
	minimalistic as a reflection of Pete's demos, not wanting to piss
	off Pete, the songwriter & chief mover in The Who.  So, I hope Zak
	doesn't do the same.

	Zak's gotta go into the studio believing that expressive, unordinary
	drumming *compliments* Pete's songs & The Who's sound.  With Entwistle
	now gone, the pressure on Zak is increased if they do indeed attempt
	some studio recordings.

	> He better make it sound like The Who and not the Healers or something.

	Yeah, I heard Zak plays pretty simplistic & basic with them.

	- SCHRADE in Akron

	Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great
	and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man.
	        - Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a name of winmail.dat]