Re: Understanding Lifehouse

In a message dated 4/15/2003 9:26:01 AM Eastern Standard Time,
sschrade@ascpl.lib.oh.us writes:

> I think "over ambitious" is the perfect adjective
> to describe the whole deal.  He tried to overstep the bounds of a rock
> concert.  Really, he tried to turn it into something more than it already
> was.

I agree, actually, that he was being over ambitious.  But I mean that it
wasn't just that.  Surely he bit off more than he could chew back then.

He tried to push rock forward and figured that it should go onto the movie
screen in some fashion.  I believe that he hoped that something would
spontaneously happen in those YV shows that would encourage him onward but of
course they only got the place one night a week.  People had to go home and
the band had to stop playing etc.  This is well known.

Back to what Pete saw, I am having trouble with the "oneness" part.  The
note. The universal chord.  The vibrations.  The result of the atoms moved by
sound. Then there are the words to the songs themselves.  We know them, but
do we *know* them?  Pete seemed to be mixing Science and Spiritual things and
was trying to reconcile them in his big mind.  He dared to probe into the
meaning of everything.

I love Quadrophenia. It is a very human story.  It is rubber meets the road
stuff in the age of glam rock and progressive rock.  It was much safer and
real.  A masterpiece. Nothing wrong with that!  But for Pete to continue his
entire career in pursuit of Lifehouse lets us know that he saw more than
merely making rock bigger than it was supposed to be. This is greater than
Quadrophenia.  He admitted that rock was not the answer.  It is great fun and
a great way to express our feelings, but what did it accomplish?  Why does it
have to end?

We all want peace.  We don't have it.  We all want to love one another.  We
don't.  If we are honest and if we look inside, we know that there *should*
be some kind of a universal oneness.  We don't see it.  We do have these
things in small parts, but there is always something that puts an end to
them.  There is a wall to smash through and Pete knows it.  The oneness in
the shows was just a place where Pete saw the temporary situation that I
believe he wanted to solve for mankind in a much larger way.  Not just in
rock.

Jon in Mi.