Re: the BBC reporting

Keets writes:

> Also, the celebrating Iraqis have been played over and over on American TV,
> but this morning a BBC reporter noted that this crowd consisted of only
> dozens of Iraqis in a city of five million, a possible indication that the
> sentiment may not be universal.

I would not take the world of the BBC for anything.  Their reporting has been
solidly against this war from the start, thus destroying any credibility it
had as a news organization.  One side of Baghdad is different from the other
- the Western side has had large and vocal pro-freedom rallies - the eastern
side has not.  The poverty side of the city lies in the east.  That will
change when the city is secured and these people see how much food, water,
opulance, etc, that Saddam's regime has stolen from them.

Another factor to consider is that these people have been so under the thumb
of a ruthless dictator that they are not sure if it is yet safe to show
anything pro-coalition.

Basra, and other towns, have had very large and vocal pro-USA/Britain rallies
- mostly after they have been secured from Saddam's troops and
paramilitaries.

Some people will not like the regime change - mostly those that had something
to do with Saddam's regime.  Some Germans did not like Hitler losing either.

Greg Biggs