Subject for speculation

Considering current events, I can't help but think there'a a ton of material out there for artists and writers like Pete to work with. I have to say that I admire the economic plan the Bush administration has put together. Somebody in there has been studying the period Pete wrote about in TOMMY, the post-WWI and WWII years where the American economy expanded for the rebuilding of Europe. These years made the war generation, though scarred by the wars, the richest ever in the history of the US.

Now we've been running a trade deficit for several years, and Europe has joined in a trade bloc that will provide some real competition. It certainly will give US capitalism a boost to use billions of dollars worth of Iraqi oil to pay for the imported US goods and services needed for rebuilding. The plan has also split the European trade bloc, notably France/Germany vs. Spain/UK. The problem with this economic plan, however, was pointed out by the first of a series of Nobel Peace Prize speakers on NPR this morning. It's pretty much a sign of moral bankruptcy. Should we accept this sort of economics?

It would be interesting to hear some commentary from artists. I believe wars have always generated some of the most poignant and biting social criticism. What was SIEGE about again? I keep thinking it was a good concept, maybe worthy of resurrection.

keets

Harmony and understanding
Sympathy and trust abounding
No more falsehoods or derisions