Re: Drugs & RnR & The air up there

Why would a man, on the eve of doing what in this world was the greatest
thing for him to do, a thing that he enjoyed more than any other thing in
the world...why would such a man be feeling so bad that he would be willing
to take such a risk.

Kevin:

I even think calling it a "risk" isn't accurate. It IS "asking for it" as surely as walking in front of the hypothetical bus. When the odds for disaster are greater than the odds for survival...it doesn't take a rocket scientist. Even a Republican could figure it out. Eventually.

It equates to the amount of risk of actually getting hit by the bus when you
jump right in front of it, rather than it being able to swerve at the last
moment and miss you. Buses don't swerve.

John might have survived it. A bus could have incredibly good brakes and not kill.

Regarding Keith, I'm still of the opinion that he wanted out too.

I can't believe he wanted out. He loved life too much. I'm firmly in the corner of accidental death for Keith. John, as you say...he was embarking on a few months of doing his favorite thing (not to mention the stripper, a few moments of another favorite thing). It's not the right set up for suicide, intentional or unconscious.

In a strange way, I want to be put out of my agony.

I feel that way too. When they stop, they become legend. As long as they're out there, the odds of disgracing themselves escalate.

Johanna:

Good topic.

How many shows they've been too?

Nope, that's too cheap and easy and requires little effort. That's like collecting. Anyone with time and money could "become" a huge fan if they thought it would make them "cool." Maybe if the band was NSYNC, that would apply.

How many shirts from that many shows?

See above. They're nice souvenirs but not a form of status.

How many autographs the person has and the amount of times the person has
been fortunate enough to come in contact with a member of the Who?

No, no and no. That is subject to circumstance and opportunity.

When a Who fan is mentioned by a member of the Who as being a familiar face

Huh-uh. There have to be many non-Who fans the boys have to deal with on a regular basis.

How close up the person pays to get close to the stage?

Circumstance and opportunity. It's only relevant in regard to enjoying the live experience.

How many albums the person has? CD's? 8 tracks? Cassettes? DVD's?
Video's? Bootlegs?

Collecting.

How much reading the person has done regarding the Who?

How much of Who trivia does that fan know?

Again, it's knowledge too easily aquired.

Or, is the measure of the fan made by how deeply, emotionally, culturally or
even politically moved the fan has experienced or impacted because of the
music of The Who?

THAT is the only Yes. Really, understanding and being moved by the music is the measure of a fan.

John? I'm still in shock.

Lew:

Me too. Still.

I'll take the 5th Ammendment.

That's a "yes."

>How would you rate your top fav Who Albums?

Easy for me.

Quadrophenia -> LAL -> Tommy -> Sell Out -> WN -> Odds & Sods

>Townsend's top 3?

Psychoderelict -> White City -> Chinese Eyes -> Who Came First I'll decide how many tops, thank you.

>Roger's solo

McVicar -> Raging Moon -> Ride A Rock Horse

>John's

Whistle Rhymes -> Too Late The Hero -> Smash Your Head

People don't _always_, in fact, _rarely_ *do* drugs because they
are feeling so bad about something.

Key-Rect! Give that man a lollypop (he's got the munchies).

Ever played a musical instrument while under the influence of
drugs? Well, it's a buzz, big fun, and _sometimes_ pushes one
to greater performances. John knew that. John took that risk.

Uh...I think John was going to have HIS instrument played, ratther than the reverse.

Glad somebody other than myself does!!! It's pretty lonely
here in the Stoned Age!!

Lots of people still do. More than 60%, I'd wager.

....in the hands
of someone hell bent on killing themselves (Moonie) or someone
in poor health (John).

So you do think John wanted to kill himself? I just have to say that it's unlikely in what we can imagine his state of mind was. Of course we don't KNOW; he could have just gotten word his dog died and had some coke onhand to use for suicide, but the circumstances look otherwise.

spot called "Stables" when the question of "why is there air?"

I was thinking of the Bill Cosby album, really.

If you love music, check us out on the
                 web: www.secondgenerationscds.com

                             Cheers              ML