Re: Stumbling Blocks & Regrets

From: "Schrade, Scott" <sschrade@ascpl.lib.oh.us>

Question #1:  What was the biggest hindrance or stumbling block in
the career of The Who?

Unlike many bands that some consider to be TheWho->'s peers,
TheWho-> (and TheKinks) remained uniquely British, subject
wise, intellectually &  socially, whereas TheWho->'s
contemporaries who have enjoyed greater success on both a
popular and critical basis, had some kind of univeral appeal,
and in the case of the rolling stones* and Led Zeppelin and
TheBeaTles (and others to be sure) became "Americanised" and
just about lost their UK roots in the process.

TheWho-> are just TOO FUCKIN' BRITISH for most people to
be able to "get it!"

I prefer things the way they are. I love the fact that _most_
people don't get *it!*

Piss on 'em!

Was it Pete's moodiness?

Nope.

Keith's drinking?

Nope.

Poor management?

To some degree.

Un-reachable goals?

Probably. No other band ever tried to reach that high though,
did they?

Loss of motivation?

At times, yes.

Money?

For Roger, Keith and John, yes.

Drugs?

Dope? Nope!

Debauchery?

Hell YES!

Fame?

Yep.

Pete's writing?

Absolutely, far too brilliant for the everyday rock and roll
slob (fan).

My pick would be drugs/alcohol.  Let's face it - they're responsible
for two original memebers of The Who actually dying.  Now, I know
drugs & alcohol don't do damage when they're not being ingested.  A
person has to consciously make that decision to drink or do drugs.
And many Rock musicians seem to be able handle both without actual-
ly dying.  So maybe it's the *overuse* of drugs & alcohol that's the
problem.  Anyway, that's my pick as the biggest hindrance to the
Who's career.

I'm sick of everything being blamed on drugs and alcohol.

Question #2:  What's your personal, biggest regret when it comes to
the history/career of The Who?

That I did not go see the "Quadrophenia '96/'97" shows.

Was it missing a particular show or tour?

See answer #2

Not getting into them until a later age?

Was getting into TheWho-> at age 16 in 1965 too late?

Not buying something rare when you had the chance?

I have bought _every rarity_ I ever saw during the time
of Keith Moon's tenure with TheWho->...no regrets there.

Passing on a chance to meet John?

Did that backstage @ TheHollywoodBowl 8/142000, but, John
was busy, and I did not want to be just another fan who
interrupted his privacy.

No regrets.

Not seeing them with Moon?

Did that 12 times.

I guess my biggest regret would be not seeing them on the '82 tour.

Did not want to see the '82 Who->, never did, still don't,
won't ever. NO REGRETS.

~AnEnglishBoy~