Re: Vegas..., Fortune Magazine

Joe in Philly writes about Las Vegas:

> The place is so inorganic it makes my skin crawl. The whole place stinks from
> the time you get off
> a plane and hear that fucked up sound that's supposed to make you feel like a
> winner until the time you leave.

I've been there once, after going to the Mardi Gras in '99. Had a fantastic
time, probably 'cause one of my oldest friends, a NY'er now from LA (he saw the
Irvine & SD shows in 2000), met me there. Also took in the Hoover Dam tour. We
did almost no gambling, concentrating on mostly magic shows. We had a blast.
One of the biggest surprises was an impressionist named Danny Gans. An
extremely difficult ticket to obtain. It was one of the greatest performances
I've ever seen, as he does mostly singers during his act, each one dead-on, and
over 100 different people during his show. I think the Vegas experience has a
lot to do with who you're with and in not losing lotsa money.

> Anywho, Mick and Keith are on the cover of Fortune Magazine for September.
> The article focuses on their business success.  Only 1 Who mention, but it
> discusses their touring,  erchandizing, and recording business models
> somewhat.
>
> I think the Who really missed out on cashing in, and had the material,
> momentum, and stage performances to be the best (business success wise) but
> the personality conflicts prevented it.  In essence - Pete's ego.  I am in no
> way faulting him for having an ego.   On the contrary, I adore his ego.

Another point in the case that the Who are & were the most mis-managed band in
the world.

magik