Cobain legacy

Kevin in VT said "I loved his work.  It was a breath of honesty and fresh
air.
I'm anything but closed-minded toward The Who."

Dammit.  I just can't put a good generalization together ;-)

"Seem to have a lack of understanding for others feelings here.
I will never second guess the feelings of a man/person who is driven to do
what Cobain did.
There are reasons for it.  The reasons are real. Anyone who is so arrogant
to cast judgement on those reasons should be questioned."

Actually, I was demonstrating a lack of understanding of Cobain.  I'm not
very familiar with his music or the particulars of his story.  I was trying
to use myself as an example of the power of the bad PR on a legacy.  I'm a
general population kind of guy as relates to Cobain.  I don't know much
about him.  I've never spent a nickel on his music or anything about him.
The main thing I know about him is slight familiarity with some of the tunes
and the media version of his death.  The media version of his death makes
him an unattractive brand name to me.  You're right, I don't know shit about
him.

I'm a father.  He was a father.  He killed himself.  That blocks my mind
from having any interest in him as an artist.

I was trying to draw a parallel to you and Schrade's arguments about The
Who's lousy PR machine.  Trying to find a little common ground.  Damn
generalizations!  I suck at them!

The same thing happens with Pete and The Who.  We know lots about Pete.  We
know that he's a complicated man.  When these negative little references
make it into the news, some of us get defensive.  The general public doesn't
know as much as we do.  When they read negative things, their minds close to
the band.  Was that a good generalization?  I'm very self-concious about it.
I won't defend it ;-)

BTW, I dig the "banter time" stuff.  I've been meaning to transcribe some
from Jones Beach.  There's some good stuff in there.  Somehow, I keep
getting sidetracked :-(

Jeff