Re: Greatest Rock & Roll Band? Why, the Stones, of course.

> ok, Scott, I'll bite . . .

Thanks, Andy.  I tell ya', the things I have to write to get people
to talk on this list....

> A second hand report? Check back if you actually see them!

Ha!  Good point!  I'm not really a Stones fan.  I respect them
(who wouldn't?) but as far as pushing the boundaries of Rock goes,
besides the longevity thing, what have they accomplished really?
Song after song about making it with slutty women in bars doesn't
exactly test one's intelligence, now does it?

> All true - I saw them indoors in Philly a few weeks ago. Another
> thing they did was vary the set list from night to night.

Yeah, Curtis was surprised that in Cleveland they played a few songs
they hadn't yet played on the tour.  He's been following all the web
chatter.

> No one in the Stones has written vital music in many years. They have
> mastered a great rock style and continue to demonstrate that they can
> keep doing the same thing.

I agree but I know if I told Curtis that I'd get into a big argument.
He probably retort that Pete Townshend hasn't written *any* Who music
*at all* in many years.  At least the Stones are making an attempt,
I guess.

> Richards and Ron Wood TOGETHER didn't match the power of Townshend's
> guitar on this summer's tour. It's not really fair to compare them.

Curtis said Richard's guitar was loud & powerful.  As far as comparing
the two bands goes, no Who fan seems to shy away from that where the
1968 Rock & Roll Circus is concerned!  How many of us (me included) have
stated that The Who "blew the Stones away" on that occasion?

My friends & I have always had a competing attitude when it comes
to our favorite bands - ever since high school.  Like boasting about
your favorite football team.  Immature, yes.  Hard to resist, also.

> I never thought of it as a battle.

I sometimes do.  There's always been some attitude between the two camps.
Besides, the only other group to sometimes get the "greatest band ever"
title besides the Stones is The Who.  But I haven't seen that used to
describe The Who in some time.  If you're lucky, you may get a descrip-
tion of The Who as the best "live" band of all time, but the '89 reunion
tour might've fucked that up, too.

> In terms of popular appeal, the Stones are undeniably the greater
> band.

It's not just popular appeal.  It's longevity, output, consistency, en-
ergy, hits, attitude, work ethic, respect,....

> But by that standard, Rush Limbaugh is the greatest talk show host,

< cough >

> Howard Stern is the greatest morning drive radio personality,

Well, *that's* true!  Hey now!

> But the Stones are amoral (singing "Gimme Shelter" and "Sympathy for
> the Devil" with equal conviction) and their music is dated (sex-an'-
> drugs-an'-rock and roll? in their late 50s?).

I know this.  You know this.  We on this list know this.  So, what's
wrong with all the rest of the punters out there?!

The Who were on top of the world back in the late 70's & early 80's.
And that was after Moon had died!!  What happened?  Pete, what happened?

I keep thinking of the scene in Easy Rider towards the end of the movie
when Peter Fonda & Dennis Hopper are sitting around the campfire, & Billy
(Dennis Hopper) says, "We're rich!  We did it!  We're retired in Florida
now, Mister."  And Peter Fonda simply says, "We blew it."

I wonder if Pete ever says to himself, "We blew it."

- SCHRADE in Akron