Re: FW: cheap tickets at the door - Part 2

At 03:09 PM 10/12/2002, you wrote:
I'm a bit confused, are you saying to buy from people standing outside the
box office with extra tickets or the box office itself?
I always plan on buying from people at the door w/ extra tickets. But it's surprising how many times the promoter, venue, or band return great tickets tot he box office an hour before the show.

Have you ever tried this in a city that you traveled to and booked a hotel
in?  I live 120 miles from the nearest big city and don't have the guts to
do this without a seat in my hand.

Rick in Maine
Yes. I live in the Washington area. This summer I drove 3-4 hours to get to 3 of the Who shows, and flew to two others (Indianapolis and Toronto) - all w/o tickets in advance.

Specifically, here's how I fared:
Camden - $100 for a 155 tix, 18th row center
Hershey - $70 for a 90 tix, 8th row center, in front of the stage
Noblesville - $161 (face value - but no Ticketmaster charges :) at the box office an hour before the show, 5th row center! (my friend preferred spending the $ and being very close rather than buying 20th row center for 100)
Holmdel - $100 for a 155 tix (VIP seats w/ waitress service, 24th row center)
Toronto - $100 (Canadian) for a 262 tix, 12th row, first section off the front corner of the stage (about 40% of face value - the best buyer's market of the tour)

I will admit that I had good luck at this string of shows - sometimes you simply don't see the first 10 rows for sale at the door at any price, and I found them twice. But buying an hour before the show ALWAYS works - there is essentially no risk. There were many tickets for sale on the street to all of these shows (though a limited number of great seats). My personal preference is to be about 20 rows out from the stage in the center (any closer and I find you're "underneath" the sound - it's louder and better at that distance). And I almost always find seats at that range.

For people who think these cheap tickets imply soft support for our boys, I went to the Stones at the First Union center in Philly a few weeks ago (seats 20,000), and I paid $0 ! - a guy gave me a ticket he couldn't seem to sell. That's happened occasionally w/ various bands (and it happens more often to women :).

Andy