From: owner-thewho@igtc.com [mailto:owner-thewho@igtc.com]On Behalf Of
T. Andrew Finn
Sent: Friday, October 11, 2002 7:13 PM
To: thewho@igtc.com
Subject: cheap tickets at the door

I didn't join this list until after the tour ended, but I hope this info is
useful to people for upcoming tours (the Who as well as everybody below
them :). I did get the "digest" version of the list this summer and I
noticed some people asking for tickets for upcoming shows, so here's some
unsolicited info . . . which many of you may already know.

It's easy to buy good tickets just before ANY concert. I go to 8-10 major
concerts a year (in 4,000-20,000 seat venues), and I haven't bought a
ticket in advance of the show more than a couple times in the last 15
years. I always get my tickets at the door, I rarely pay more than face
value, and I always sit close to the stage (tickets come mostly from
concertgoers, more than you might think at the box office an hour before
the show, and sometimes from scalpers).

In the last few years it's gotten easier than ever to scalp at the door.
Bands have raised prices so much in the last 5 years that I actually save
quite a bit of money now. Over the last 2 years I've averaged about 70% of
face value at the door (unless I went with the seats the promoter
often  seems to return to the box office's).

This works for all bands, at all times, in all large venues. I'm referring
to sold out shows here - if it's not sold out, tickets are particularly
cheap outside the venue. It worked at every Who show I went to this summer,
and even worked at Townshend's La Jolla (CA) shows last summer (capacity:
800).

Would this work in your city? Yes!  Over the years I've scalped mostly in
New York City, New Jersey, Philly, Chicago, Cincinnati, Washington, and
Baltimore (but have scalped in San Fran, LA, Atlanta, Indianapolis,
Cleveland, Toronto, London, Dublin - the city doesn't matter much (excuse
the US bias here). Some minor variations: Springsteen is a bit tougher in
NJ, everyone is a bit tougher in NYC (MSG), and tickets are quite a bit
easier between the coasts (in the heartland). And I'm sure the Who is
tougher in Shepard's Bush - though I've never had the pleasure.

I hope this is useful to folks who have thought about going to shows w/o
tickets, but haven't done it yet. Good luck.

Andy

---

---