Re: Mediocrity abounds

In a message dated 10/11/02 9:07:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
bushchoked@yahoo.com writes:

> And have no possibility of objectivity. It's hard to realize you're special
> if you're part of something.

But certainly they know the difference between going through the motions to
get a buck and going out full force with all they have. They don't need
objectivity to know that they are connecting with their audience.  They don't
have to do this.

>>Did I ever suggest, in any way, anywhere, that people not go to the shows?

Certainly not.  And you have a very sharp memory.

>>The part that relates to The Who is that they haven't lived up to the
standard I have for them, and I'm disappointed with that.

At least you are being honest.  I will be honest too. Considering their age,
their recent loss and the odds against them, after witnessing them, they have
left me amazed and proud. I am not a blind follower of the band.  If they
were mailing it in, I could tell.  I would say that it is over and get back
into the 1980's frame of mind. But they have not done this.  They have poured
themselves out, both of them with equal ferocity and the other members could
not have done a better job at what they are doing while at the same time
staying out of the way. What a balancing act!  Pino did his thing and didn't
try to replace the man and grab the spotlight like a fool, but he did rock
his ass off and support the music. Zak is an extaordinary masterful brilliant
genius- in the words of  Townshend (now didn't that sound a little cold using
his last name there?) ;)  and he is worth the price of admission alone.  He
comes across great on the encore cd's too.

>>Well, isn't it funny that Lew and I aren't having a problem with each
other's views? Actually, it's not, because we're both entitled and we both
know it. I am not about to start "analysing" why he feels the way he does...I
accept it and support his right to. I don't expect him to jump in my shit
either. Nor has he in any way.

But they are different.  The reason that I brought that up is that opinions
are opinions.  Experienced or not.  It makes for a good discussion.  I
probably appreciate the shows more because you didn't go.  It made me think
"Why in the hell isn't Mark going? It was so good for this reason and that
reason...oh and Zak Starkey, ...Pete was happy....and um, Pino did a pretty
good job ...and well uh,  uh  The Who rocks!"  San Demas football rules!

>>>And there too, I feel completely satisfied to have my last Who live memory
being Atlanta 2000.

And that is cool.

>>I say "Enjoy, good for you!" Good for you might not be good for me, and *I*
get to decide...what in the Hell is wrong with THAT, I have to wonder. No,
when it all comes down to it, I'm getting this shit because I'm not falling
in with the party line that this band can do no wrong. If that's what
expected of me, there's going to be
a lot of disappointed people out there...

I am not disappointed, Mark.  I just wish that you were my lawyer man, you
can argue a case!

Jon in Mi