From: "Mark R. Leaman" <bushchoked@yahoo.com>
To: <TheWho@igtc.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 7:44 PM
Subject: Re: Accuracy in reporting

> So now he's been reduced to being called "Daltrey"?
> Jon:
>
> I'm not trying to "reduce" him to anything; I've always gone between
calling him "Rog" and "Daltrey," same with the others. Roger Daltrey was one
of the greatest Rock singers of all time, and his voice lasted about 20
years longer than Robert Plant's (for one). But, to be fair, who could
expect him to keep it up forever? Even in 1985 (Live Aid) he couldn't do
"the scream" (end of WGFA). I'd give him an 80% of his voice rating in 2000,
75% in 2002 (although by the end of the show it's getting ragged, as in the
case of MG from Detroit).
> I am trying to be fair and completely accurate. I can step outside my "Who
fandom" to see what's what. I think that's a good thing, because when
someone says "Daltrey is still GREAT" and a non-fan hears him as not-great,
it's going to weaken any credibility the fan may have.
> I'm just not a "either with us or against us" kind of guy. Each instance
is going to have different factors, and they should be taken into account.
Some have said Detroit was a "warm up" show and not a good example of the
tour. That may be. I have also heard Shoreline. However, I am obligated to
say these are the shows I'm using as an example, these and no others.