Tommy vs. Sgt Pepper

Comparing the Beatles and the Who is not quite apples and apples, for a few
reasons.

Ok........Pete Townsend is not John Lennon and John Lennon is not a Pete
Townsend.

Pete perfected the Rock Opera.   The Beatles answer to a rock opera would be
Sgt. Pepper.  But, if you criticize "Tommy," I can think of the very same
criticism to Sgt. Pepper.  Kinda of cartoony.  (When I'm 64),  Very shallow
at some points..........(heck, the list is long, starting with song "Sgt.
Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band", "Mean Mr. Mustard).  But in both, it has
its classics..........i.e.. Long and Winding Road <Beatles.....Listening to
You/See Me, Feel Me, Sparks <----Who (notice I don't dare put Pinball
Wizard).

Anyway, I think Pete and The Who were the master of Rock Opera's.   Again,
that is what Tommy is.  It isn't an album of songs.  It is a story being
told, beginning to end by music.  Tommy is totally different, I think we all
agree, then Quad........But, Pete changes and changes and changes.......if
they were the same or equal (Tommy and Quad)  we might as well call them Rock
Opera part one and Rock Opera part two........I am not sure if I am making my
point clear or not.  I am taking the criticism from the listers of the Tommy
movie and and comparison of the Beatles and the Who and saying that you can't
say one is better than the other unless you set the same standards for both.
But you can't.  The BEST is what the listener deems the BEST.  For some
people, that may be the Beatles........who I do love.  But, for me it is and
will always be THE WHO.

Johanna