Re: Tommy the movie; Whofest; a Curt repsonse

Can you EVEN believe this doo doo?

Lew:

No.

It's an assault on the senses: seeing, hearing. & feeling. Get it?

Scott:

I don't know about that, but I agree with you that it doesn't suck. It's got some parts in it that make it very much "of the moment" it was made, that is to say during the Glam Rock period. Take those away and it's a pretty solid movie. As with Psychedelia, this band was never very good at Glamour. What DOES make the movie great is the symbolism (for instance, Tommy the child's wallpaper and the Acid Queen's "iron maiden" personna) and Yes the movie is campy but it's not easy to make this subject into a serious film, if you want to use the music it's based on.

> every Rock fan's identification with wanting to be loved,

Lew:

Wouldn't that be "every human's desire to be loved?" So what you're saying here is Tommy the movie strikes a universal chord. Is that a bad thing?

See me, feel me, touch me, heal me.............

I think that's one of the inferior songs on the album. Try Christmas ("Waking up on Xmas morning hours before the winter's sun ignited/They believe in dreams and all they mean including heaven's generousity/Peeping round the door to see what parcels are for free in curiousity...") or Amazing Journey ("Sparkle warm crystaline glances to show")...how does this mean I miss my mummy? No, it means DAMN THAT MUSIC'S FINE! On the other hand: "UV light making starshine of her smile..." is equally great.

Fuckin' Don MacLean's "American Pie" made mass cultural
impact, and it's still nothing but a mound of stinking offal.

Yeah. If it had been "Drove my Pontiac to the levee but the levee was dry" it would have meant something. But a Chevy? Fah!

>No.

You should get it. It's out on DVD now. And in 5.1.

Fuck you Scott, I'm older than you, I claimed that closed
minded status long before you perfected skinning *it* back,
and it's mine....mine!!!......MINEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're both wrong. that's MY area of expertise. After all, who here knows the lyrics to Cocksucker Blues? Me, that's who. How about My Friend Jack, a Who-based song if I ever heard one? Yeah, that's right.

>When's the next WhoFest,
>Mark? Gotta keep this Who energy flowing!

Do *general Rock fans* attend this?

The answer is: I'd like to do it next summer. Not only is it Myrtle Beach's best visitor time (for those who might want to bring their significant other non-Whofan and/or family) but it's far enough timewise away to make it feasible. If I had my way, though, it would be at my cabin in the Smoky Mountains next fall, perhaps when there's a Ren Faire nearby. I just might have that cabin by then, too, and there's no more beautiful place on this earth. And YES all music fans are welcome but they should be forewarned the discussions will revolve around The Who and how their band was influenced by them.

band so we can set up a trading tree & get to hear it ourselves? ;-)

Scott:

I KNEW someone was gonig to go there, but why did it have to be YOU? Expect an MP3 in your EMail.

I've been monitoring this exchange and noticed that no one seems to mention
the abundance of evidence that Cobain did not commit sucide at all.

Andy:

I have heard of such evidence, but haven't read the book, and was of the impression that none of it was conclusive or even likely. Courtney did it, huh?

the correct one. However, interestingly, you state that it's easier to be-
lieve that Cobain was murdered rather than committed suicide. How so?

Scott:

Me, sir, me, I know, ME! There was too much heroin in his system for him to pull the trigger.

If you love music, check us out on the
                 web: www.secondgenerationscds.com

                             Cheers              ML
faith.yahoo.com