What would Pete Townshend drive?

Mark, how can you not recommend Spiders from Mars to someone wanting to
explore past Bowie? A more important Bowie album would be hard to find. I
mean, hell man, Ziggy was his whole persona back then!

Kevin:

True, but Ziggy is also the most predictable, commercial release. Whereas Man Who Sold The World is extremely non-commercial (and therefore more true to form) and is after all (no song titles were damaged in the writing of this EMail) the album which influenced the other Glam bands. Because they were out by the time Ziggy was released. Besides...I've always had a problem with lyrics like "I'm an alligator/I'm a Mamma Pappa coming to you..." and "You're talking like a big monkey bird." What would Pete Townshend drive, uh, I mean write? Not that!

There are some good songs on ZS, don't get me wrong (no Pretenders songs...never mind). But I find MWSTW as the superior release. Then again, I love the Deram (Images) material, too. Most Bowie fans don't.

Awww shit, that didn't have any Who content, did it?

Bowie was a huge Who fan (he also recorded the Paul Revere song Louie Louie Go Back Home). There is a story someone told me once, most likely HERE on this list (so if that person is still here, they may want to clarify or respond). A great story. It seems once about 1965 or so Bowie and his band were warming up on a stage, for a show later that evening. Davie Jones (Bowie's real name) was standing there with his guitar, swinging his arm in a manner familiar to those on this list, windmilling his heart out when he looked over to see his hero Pete Townshend standing there, with an amused smile on his face. Bowie was embarrassed...and Pete said something like "Keep it up."

Music labels often have to sell 50,000 to 100,000 copies of a new
major-label album by a new artist, or a half-million for an
established hitmaker.

WOW! It looks to me like record labels are evil people after all, but simply just businessmen!

If you love music, check us out on the
                 web: www.secondgenerationscds.com

                             Cheers              ML