Re: John

>Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 19:45:58 -0800 (PST)
>From: "Mark R. Leaman" <bushchoked@yahoo.com>
>
>>I'm more inclined to feel sorry for the lack of self-esteem that drove him
>>to make those choices, over and over until they got him.
>
>I wasn't aware he had that problem...

Well, I don't have any inside information like access to his medical
records, but I'm reasoning from observations.  And from my observations
(not just of John) I believe that someone who does the amount of unhealthy
things John did doesn't think his life is worth preserving...unless, as I
said below, unhealthy activities are part of their definition of what makes
life worth living.

>he shouldn't have! The greatest bass player in the world...what does it
>take???

A very important question, and not just for John, but for us all.  What
enables people who will never approach John's achievements to lead happy
and productive lives, while John refused to take care of his body,
essentially killing himself despite incredible achievements and nearly
universal respect and love?

>I wonder whether John too had a persona that he couldn't abandon, which
>included satisfying one's desires (be it loud music, cigarettes and other
>drugs, or sex) without worrying about the consequences.
>
>One would think that Moon's example (and that of far too many others)
>would have shaken him out of it. A big effin' dose of reality.

One _would_ think so, but it obviously didn't.  John wasn't living a
healthy lifestyle. You and I both had that figured out. If you grant that
he was at least as smart as the dumber of you and me, he KNEW that he was
living very dangerously but refused to stop.  Why?  I feel safe in saying
it wasn't done just to make you (or me) mad.

Cheers,

Alan
R. I. P. Ox
John Entwistle 1944 - 2002