Re: The game without the Rock; Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Magic Bus

In a message dated 11/1/02 9:01:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
bushchoked@yahoo.com writes:

> For me, a band like The Who (which is to say, one that isn't a group of
> picked "professional" musicians) is defined by their limitations. For
> instance, they never were too good at Pop because Daltrey's voice isn't
> smooth and Townshend is too aggressive, Entwistle wouldn't play the game
> and Moon was playing his own game. Townshend's weakness on lead guitar
> assured they wouldn't sound like the other bands around them...Kinks,
> Yardbirds, Animals, even The Stones. So when Pete couldn't play lead, he
> used feedback. Entwistle filled in, instead of playing at the changes. Moon
> was some sort of incredibly wild but appropriate thrashing going on in the
> back, and Daltrey growled, screamed, was one of the most in-your-face
> singers out there. To have The Who, you need these limitations, every one.
> And Pino was so clean and professional...anyone know if he's a trained
> musician? It's bound to be different and un-Who-like.

Mark,

I really enjoyed reading this. Excellent insight. This is a great summary of
them musically.

I am forever grateful for Jimi Hendrix  being on their label.  Pete's
frustration with this partly led to his rection that far surpassed merely
banging some strings on a board better than anyone else in the rock world
could do. ;)   Jimi is dead.  What did he tell us?

I just love how Pete and Roger do not quit.  I also hold dear the improvised
words in all of the performances of TKAA in both  the 2000 and 2002 tours.
Just golden

Jon in Mi