Re: Beatlemania

Sroundtable@aol.com writes:

>  However, as far as advancing the sound of rock or even the topics of
> rock, the Who clearly led the way.  The Beatles were still limited
> basically
> to pop songs about love and girls when the Who were singing My Generation
> and
> Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere and I'm a Boy.  By the end of the 60s and into the
> early 70s, music sounded much more like the Who than the Beatles- Zeppelin,
> Floyd, Cream, Guess Who, Hendrix, Queen, etc.  I'm sure you'll disagree,
> but
> again this is all just IMHO.

like i've said, if it wasn't for the who, there would never be a Jimi hendrix
nor a led zeppelin, nor heavy metal, nor hard rock, nor classic rock, nor
acid rock, nor punk rock!    it's strange though that amongest the very first
shows the who did in the U.S. it was with the "fifth beatle", murray the K,
and believe it or not, the who have opened for the beatles on a couple of
occasions and they have remained friends for a number of years after.
especially keith and ringo.      after the who, that's when the beatles
started singing about more "serious" subjects anyway, starting with "rubber
soul" on (I don't think the who inspired that. possibly dylan).   paul said
that he read pete townshend saying that he just wrote the DIRTIEST, FILTHIEST
song ever (which was "I can see for miles") and it inspired paul to write
"helter skelter" for the white album. ever tell your friend that if it wasn't
for the who, there'd be no "helter skelter"? and take charles manson outta
this, he was a crazyass anyway.