Lyric Corner - Root Boy Slim

Since the effort to introduce Who lyrics into the discussion has fallen a
bit flat, I thought I would try to elevate the discussion by sharing one of
my favorite non-Who love songs.  This is by Root Boy Slim and The Sexchange
Band and was performed in an R&B style croon.  Great backing vocals by The
Rootettes BTW.

Inflatable Doll
Root Boy Slim (Foster MacKenzie III)

"I was lookin' for a decent girl
I looked all over the east coast
But the one that impressed me
Held me and caressed me
The one that who really means the most
She's my woman, she's my lover, she's my friend
Into any position she would bend
She's my inflatable doll
My inflatable doll

She looks about fifteen
Miss Polyethylene
She got ruby lips
Shapely hips na na na na
She's my kinky, kinky, kinky, kinky, queen
She whispered "You're the first"
Just before she burst
She's my inflatable doll
My inflatable doll

I tried to patch things up
To pump her courage up
I was so elated
When her breasts were reinflated
Up to that triple D cup
The only girl I want yeah yeah
Thanks alot, thanks alot to her
She my inflatable doll
My inflatable doll

(Rapping other thoughts to the fade out)
She never asks me to take out the garbage
I took her to church but she wouldn't confess"

This song is about a selfish, immature, sexist man who has difficulty
relating to women.  His selfishness and immaturity leads to heartbreak in
the 2nd verse.  As a fix-it kind of guy, he is able to resume his romance
with his 'lady'.  A happy ending is had, but it is a bit of a hollow
happiness since she is not a real person.

It is a theme reflected in a handful of Who songs like "Substitute", "I
Can't Explain" and "Trick of The Light".  IMHO - it is done by Root Boy with
a touch of humor, but we see the same problems for the man who has lived the
rock and roll lifestyle in many Townshend and Entwistle compositions.  The
Who songs are done tounge-in-cheek as well, as dealing with such personal
failings requires that the writer distance himself from this ugliness with
irony and humor.

Jeff