100% agreed on no ST

In a message dated 03/28/2002 8:55:28 AM Central Standard Time,
TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:

> Put your foot down, Daltrey!!!  Tell Pete to leave the fucking family at
> home.  The god-
> damned beer at these shows is going to be watered-down enough.  Don't allow
> Pete
> to water-down The Who again!!
>

> - - SCHRADE in Akron

I was discussing the 89 tour with a fellow who fan, and we both agreed the
sound was decidedly "non-Who."  That's not what the who is about... horn
sections and back-up singers and extra musicians.  What made the Who so
incredible in the first place was that they were the first major band to have
4 heavyweight musicians- the beatles were great and popular, but were only
decent to above average as musicians.  The Who had unarguably the top 2 or 3
musicians of the time at each position- and today it can be legitimately
argued that each is the greatest ever: RD as lead singer (though I'd put
Plant first, but argument can easily be made for RD), PT #1 on guitar (and
also fantastic vocally- if not the naturally unique sound of RD), Moon #1 on
drums (don't think this can really be questioned- watch SMFM,LTY from
woodstock or YMB from IOW), and Entwistle #1 on bass.  So then why would we
want to see other musicians playing with them?  I want to hear Pete on guitar
and no one else.  I can see Rbbit due to the post Tommy stuff because of the
synthesizer and Pete's piano additions to studio stuff (a la WAY)- and I love
the keyboard work in Can't Explain from the 2000 tour (which i downloaded)-
but NO ONE ELSE.  The Who is best RAW- an we all know it.

Mc