Re: Refried Nukes

Just out of curiosity, can you recall any particularly inspiring phrases that
Clinton used in a speech?

Leslie:

No, only that they made me want to get up and do something positive (which I
often did). Inspiration. And, of course, that's what it's really all about.
Should be, anyway. These days it's more like: "Oh, SHIT, he's getting us into
WW III!!!"

>Well, that he was before my time, but in the footage that I've since seen
and heard, he definitely pronounced it "nu-cu-lar," as have many politicians
ever since.

Don't know what to tell you: I've seen footage where he didn't...and he spoke
of it more than most, because of the events of that day. One thing he did NOT
do is threaten countries where the population is below the US poverty level
with nuclear force...as Bush has. It's not unusual to have a nuclear defense
policy, it's quite another to evoke it against terrorists who are not the
leaders of the countries in which they reside. I often wonder if he's going
to nuke the IRA.

> again, JFK also had trouble with the correct pronunciations of  "Cuba" (not
"Cuber).

I wouldn't call that "trouble," but instead an accent. Pronouncing nuclear
"nucular" is not an accent...it's a mispronunciation. You know, like Whore
Dervies would be, or finance as in: "She was my finance, we was gonna get
married."
Just because it's acceptable on Springer, that doesn't mean it's OK for the
leader of the country.

     "This is a dangerous world. Too many
               people are losing their lives to murderers."
                   George "Extra, extra, read all about it!" Bush