Re: Sunrise

> 1st ~ I can't understand *anyone* not loving this exquisite
> piece of music.

The song's too dainty & delicate.  The best of The Who's "softer"
songs contain a nice juxtaposition between the delicate & the raucous
(i.e. "I'm One," "Imagine A Man," "Behind Blue Eyes," "Sparks," etc.)

"Sunrise" is one dimensional & sounds more like an Association song
than a Who song.  And I'm sure Pete wanted it that way.  Maybe the
song was so special to him that he didn't want to turn it over to meat-
grinding Who machine.

> 3rd ~ I see "Sunrise" as representational of a new day, a new
> beginning, oneness, pureness even.

I see it as a song to be skipped when listening to SELL OUT.

> That said, I also find nothing cliche' about the lyrics

Well, words & phrases are either cliche' & overused or fresh & invent-
ive.  The lyrics of "Sunrise" are quite stale, I'm afraid.

The song's akin to a dainty doily, & the best that can be said about it is
that it's a bit different than the usual Who fare.  It has more in common
with Pete's solo work than The Who's output.  It leaves me quite un-
fulfilled.

- SCHRADE in Akron