Tour Questions

>Q. If Pete is going to be bored, why would he go on the road with
>essentially the same show as 2000? It would be a bummer for him and would
>disappoint many of us.

My impression was that Pete is bored because of events in his personal life,
not necessarily by the idea of a tour.  Hopefully his boredom (and cynicism)
will evaporate once they're on the road.

--While Pete recognizes the importance of enhancing The Who as a brand, he has
publicly stated on many occasions his distaste for a greatest hits tour. Then
again, the man has been known to change his mind once or twice.  I believe the
2000 tour was actually a "Lifehouse" tour considering the heavily flavored
"Lifehouse" set list and the fact that "Lifehouse Elements" was released just
prior to the tour. There's no real hook for this tour yet.  And the Who never
tour without a hook. Here's a look back at the hooks: 1973-74 - "Quad" album
release; 1975-76 - "The Who by Numbers"; 1979-80 "Who are You" / First tour
without Keith; 1982 - "Farewell" Tour / "It's Hard"; 1989 - The Who's 25th
anniversary / 20th anniversary of "Tommy"; 1996-97 - the complete "Quad" live;
2000 - "Lifehouse."  2002 - ?

>Q. Can "The Who" charge these ticket prices and,in good faith, give us
>essentially the same show as the 2000 tour? I would like to believe they
>have too much pride and respect for their fan base to come back with the
>same show. Yet, the reality is that Pete will be busy right up until the
>start of the tour with "The Boy Who Heard Music" and he doesn't like to
>rehearse much anyway.

There should be lots of new faces in the audience this year, all of which
want to hear The Greatest Hits, not some list of odd obscurities.  Thus, the
show has to have the same Greatest Hits as last tour.  There will be some
interesting old or new stuff in between.

-- Yes, The Who stole the show at CFNY, but there's really no rationale that
says this will translate into thousands of new fans. Even if the performance
did connect with a "young" demographic, most of these kids can't afford to pay
to see the band live.  I agree that a set list filled with oddities won't
work, however, what I'd like to see is 2/3 greatest hits, 1/3 new or different
material. I expect most, if not all, of the Lifehouse songs will be dropped
for this tour.

>Q. Will we hear anything from "The Boy Who Heard Music."? As many of you
>recall, Pete used the 1989 tour to promote (unsuccessfully) his "Iron Man"
>CD.  It seems to me that Pete has the leverage to include a few of his new
>songs.  That is, of course, if they are ready.

>From what we've heard, there will be nothing from THE BOY WHO HEARD MUSIC,
because Roger has pronounced it unsuitable for The Who.  This indicates it
is a very personal Pete project that doesn't express the ideas/philosophy
that Roger feels is required.  We may hear something from it on later tours
when it's complete, but I doubt if any of it would appear before it's done
and ready for promotion.  We're more likely to hear songs from MY GENERATION
(assuming Talmy gets it out) or songs under consideration for the new Who
album.

-- My interpretation of what Roger said is that he did not want the band to
participate in "The Boy Who Heard Music" because: It's a concept album and, as
we all know, production could drag on forever.  Just look at Lifehouse; and,
that if the Who were to play on "The Boy Who Heard Music," Pete would thus
fulfill his duty by giving Roger the new material (with the Who) he so
desperately wants. I think Roger fears that this would give Pete an out
concerning his commitment to try a studio album with the band.  According to
published statements by Pete, his plan is to finish "The Boy Who Heard Music"
before the tour.

-- David in NY