Re: are you getting it?

>"Kevin did say "retail" so it seems he's talking about a resale market."
>
>I'm afraid I didn't understand him again.
>If a person buys something and consumes it or holds it for their own
>purposes, they are buying retail.  If they buy it to sell to others, they
>are buying wholesale.  That is the definitions of the terms.

Wholesale/retail also has to do with a business license, doesn't it?  If you
are a wholesaler, then you are a middle-man.  You buy from a source such as
factories, and can only sell to retail establishments.  Retailers are on the
end of the distribution chain, and may or may not buy from a wholesaler.
Some businesses may have a license for both.  Rarities dealers are generally
retailers who don't depend on wholesalers.  They buy directly from the
public for resale.  They may have some of the characteristics of a
distributor, but they are still (by license) retailers who sell to the
general public.

I'd consider ticket brokers/scalpers in the same category as rarities
dealers.  They're opportunists speculating on the short term demand for
tickets, and are likely to bargain for the price in the same way antique
dealers will.  If there was no profit in it (i.e. no demand for their
services) then they'd go on to speculating in antiques or baseball cards, or
something else like that.  Because there is a demand for ticket broker
services, it will be impossible to stamp them out.  If the practice is made
illegal, then it will go underground.
I think bands are doing well in raising the price of front seats.  Keeping
them artificially low does nothing to discourage brokered sales, and only
loses them profits.  When they set their price closer to the true market
price, it prevents brokers from adding a huge mark-up, and ensures more
profit for the artist who is going to the effort and expense to put on the
show.

I'm personally a little amazed at fans who think they should be guaranteed a
center front seat for $20 in a high-demand market.  There is a serious
distribution problem in selling tickets to 20-30,000 fans who all want to
sit in the center front.  How is the band going to determine who gets the
seats?  Festival seating?  Brokered sales?  Favoritism?  Auction?  All these
will cause complaints.  Sorting the 20-30K by who is willing to pay more or
less seems to be one of the more efficient methods.

keets