Re: New Pete Diary

Buck (on another list) has said it's likely Pete meant the mixture of songs by different writers without a theme, rather than the general sound of ROUGH MIX, but I dunno about that either. Who albums have always sounded fairly integrated, regardless of what Pete said in Uncle Joe's interview, i.e. that John's songs always sounded like they should be on a John solo album. Because The Who performs all the songs, it can be hard to tell on a brief listen whether the song was written by Pete or John. I see no reason that Roger's songs shouldn't sound similar to the others, because they will have been processed by the band.

So maybe Pete means they've got some good songs that he'd like to use on an album, but no theme. This seems to indicate that he doesn't mean to take the lead in writing a new album, as he's said he always writes concept albums, regardless of whether it's visible to the fans. If we get a random collection, then it's likely to have only minimal contributions by Pete--a few of those old songs he's dug out of his archives. He throws in a couple of good ones and he's off the hook--just let Roger and John finish it up. Right?

Not good. I'm still looking for passion. It's not quite rage or cynicism the fans want from The Who--it's passion, emotion, the need to care about something, and the feeling that someone else out there understands that need. I think they need a concept for that--their passion needs to run through the whole album.

Would TKAA idea still fly? Has two years made enough difference that it's no longer applicable? Or have larger concerns intruded into the public consciousness?

keets

> I'm not sure I like this idea. ROUGH MIX sounds like a Pete
> solo album with guests, and I can't see any Who album sounding
> like that.

Yeah, I wasn't too thrilled when I read that either.  ROUGH MIX
isn't one of my favorites from Pete.  Seems Pete is hoping for a
kinder, gentler-sounding Who album; I'd rather hear blood, guts,
& anger (without having to buy a Slayer album!).  Maybe Pete is
too rich & content in his "advanced age" to channel any rage, or even
a little cynicism.  He'd be wise to remember that those Shepherd's
Bush geezers he professes to speak for aren't making hundreds of
thousands of dollars selling song rights to corporations for use in
advertising.