Re: Scott n Nigel n Buck n The Who

> Thanks to all who remarked about my distaste to a Scott Schrade posting and
> also to Scott himself for taking the time to post further after he'd seen my
> comments.

That's why we're here - to comment & discuss.

> I care because I'm pretty damn sure that PT, or appointed minions, do
> from time to time take a look to see what us "fanatics" are writing about
> him and or The Who

That might be wishful thinking on your part but either way you're making me
paranoid!  (Hey, Pete, play "Sister Disco" on the upcoming tour!)

> I'd rather a more encouraging stance were being projected from this group
> than, what it seems like, the constant berating and belittling of PT and or the
> Who.

First off, my comments about Pete & The Who are fairly balanced, I think.
When praise is due, I'm the first one to give it.  How many times have I written
that Pete's playing & soloing on the 2000 tour thrilled me to no end?  I compli-
ment Pete & The Who quite a bit!

Secondly, how can I be "encouraged" about a new album when I read com-
ments from Pete himself who seems to be lukewarm at best about the idea?
I'm reacting to *his* *lack* of encouragement!

> Sarcasm certainly has a place in here and in what we do generally but I'm
> afraid that I didn't read Scott's posting as being that!  I read it as
> someone who was saying...you can't do it and when you've tried in the past
> twenty odd years it has been utter wank!

But *Pete's* the one telling us he can't do it!  *He's* the one saying he can't
write Who songs anymore.  Maybe you should email *him* & tell *him* to be
more encouraging!

My main point in the offending post was that Pete *can* do it with the right
attitude going in.  But if he's starting with the attitude of  "Don't get your hopes
up,"  what am I to think?  How is *that* encouraging?

> It must be pretty fucking tough to sit down to write when you know
> whatever you succeed in doing will be held up and compared with something
> you did 30 - 40 years ago!

I can't help that.  That's something Pete's had to deal with practically from day
one.

Another thing that bothers me about Pete's current attitude is that he gives us
a list of recent accomplishments - novels, plays, hundreds of pieces of "music" -
and yet when it comes to writing Who songs, all of a sudden he's stuck. *That*
he can't do.  *That* he has trouble with.  And he shows no sign of really even
wanting to try.

And I know it's gotta be rough - trying to write Who songs again after 20 years.
I don't envy him & that task.  I'd be scared shitless, too.  I just get miffed when
I read about his self-proclaimed proficiency in other written mediums in the same
interview where he shows an utter lack of motivation or inspiration when it comes
to new Who songs.

> That is what'll happen in the media anyway so why should we as his and their
> supporters be starting to do it even before anything is heard?

Because we, as supporters, are listening to *Pete* slag the whole project off be-
fore it's started.  What am I to think?  How *can* I be encouraged when Pete
himself isn't into it?

You don't think I wouldn't want to hear Pete say something like this? -

    "We're going into the studio & I'm really excited about the challenge
    of writing Who songs for Roger's voice again.  I've got some great
    ideas & a few demos that I think would be perfect to try out."

Brother, I'd be running around outside waving a big Who banner & accosting
people in the street!  If that was Pete's attitude, I would've never written that
offending post of mine.  I'm only reacting to what I hear coming from the man
himself.  From the horse's neck.....I mean.....mouth.  (sorry)

> Townshend strikes me as someone who is more than capable of being too self
> critical and I think the last thing that'd help him overcome that is the
> knowledge that we're doubting him before he's even really started.

As an educated adult I believe Pete would understand that any negativity out
there in internet land was based solely on *his* current attitude & not some
kind of verbal assault based on nothing.

> I've no problem with anyone voicing their opinions and I am not advocating
> that the only way to be a true fan is to be unable to criticise.  What I am
> saying, perhaps warning against, is that these idols can and do react and I
> wouldn't want the remarks of someone here being the excuse then voiced in
> days / years to come by the idol(s) for why they never tried to write

Again, *I'm* not responsible for Pete's lack of excitement concerning a new
Who album.  My views are based solely on comments I hear Pete making.
I want a happy Pete.  I want a new Who album.  I want The Who to find joy
in original music again.  I truly hope that happens.  Really.

But there's only *one* roadblock that can stop all that from happening.  And it
sure ain't constructed by me, or any of my senseless ramblings on the internet.
Pete's the one with the hammer & nails, building the roadblock.  I'm just watch-
ing from the sidelines.

Well, we had a healthy discussion there.  See, that wasn't so bad!  :-)   I didn't
even use the f-word!

LONG LIVE THE WHO!!

- SCHRADE in Akron