thoughts...

hi folks. As has been said already - what is there to say, to do?

I'm listening to the Marquee club 1964 (working my way through the library
randomly...) and I wonder - what were they all thinking - if they could
have known the future. What can they be thinking now - does Pete (or Roger)
put on an old 'bootleg' and drift?

What other bands can this be applied too? How many began 'as a lark' and
now look back on a lifetime. How close have they become through the hours
on stage.

The tour - I'm glad its going on - a chance for us to say goodbye - to JAE,
to Roger, Pete, each other. An Irish Wake kind of thing - a celebration of
life, not of death.

When the drummer of the band I was in ( a terrible band, but loud)
departed, we never played again - we get togehter, and wish we could, wish
we did. But the essense is gone - through time lost, not people. I know
this is a shitty comparison, but, possibly to continue playing helps  to
move through the process. It helps us all move on, maybe recognize
possiblities, not endings. It may also be a way to close out The Who in a
definitive, solid manner.

Maybe they'll try two or three shows and pack it in.

"hope I get old before I die" JAE

I wear a pin with a black ribbon. Students come up to me and say how sorry
they are for my loss. They mean so well, but they don't comprehend the loss
- a lifetime. A friend called to tell me that The Who were on TV -
MuchMusic - RAH. People care. But they don't comprehend.

I have lived with this eventuality shoved into a back corner of my mind
since Keith died. Now it has happened - the reality gets closer, the
reality drifts further into the past. "Who's Next" takes on a new, more
horrible meaning.

My wife went to see The Who in 1989 with me, because I bought her a ticket.
She has refused every chance since. She doesn't get it. She looks at me as
a cry. She doesn't get it. I can't talk with her - she doesn't get it. Not
even a 'sorry' or a 'let me hold you'. What did I get? 'Its just a joke -
you heard it on the Internet'. 'Well, I guess you won'ty be travelling to
see them any more - that's good'.

She doesn't get it. She didn'turn on a stereo when her parents were being
assholes. She didn't play ICSFM when here girlfriend was cheating on her.
Tommy was not a voice to teenage directionlessness for her - nor was Quad.
Teenage Wasteland - let's not get started. - WGFA - was not something that
reflected so many realities growing up - She doesn't understand my graphic
memories of Keith and the spontaneous celebration/memorial in the pub at
Carleton U when he died - WAY played loud and repeatedly through how many
beers?

I'll cry in concert this week. I'll say goodbye this week. I final road trip.

thanks for listening

Steve