absolutism vs relativism

As I continue to read that many of my fellow Who fans are offended by the band's activities, I've been thinking about something I witnessed last year. This is a true story.

I've a friend who buried her husband of 40+ years. They were a beautiful couple. They were the best of friends, partners in all that they did.

He was very sick during the last year of his life and could not communicate very well for his last few months. She cared for him in their home despite the fact that she was ill herself much of the time.

After he passed she was lost. She was unsure about the many decisions she made while he was ill and immediately after his death. She had never made big decisions without his input.

She looked to her friends and family for reassurance that she had done right by him.

I told her that she could not do wrong in such decisions. She loved him unconditionally. Her heart was pure where he was concerned. All she could do was trust in her love of him and act according to that instinct. She agreed and appreciated the support.

This part is fiction, but let's say for a moment that I questioned her judgement on even one of these decisions. Should I have lambasted her or bit my tounge?

We are consumers of The Who's music. We are in the far outer circle of their support system. They don't REALLY owe us and explanation of how they are dealing with John's death. At the very least, we do owe them the respect and the room to make difficult decisions now without adding to the conflict that they must be feeling.

They love each other and their music more than we do. It is their music, their legacy, their partnership that is at stake. I think we should give them support (at best) or silence (at worst) for now.

We will have years to call Pete, Roger and each other names in these discussion groups. Can't we just show a little restraint for a little while?

Jeff