Re: A different bomb

>This is a very provocative piece.  The dark side of The Lifehouse.  No, it
>is not all good.

I don't know that Pete ever represented the grid as "safe."  That always
sounded like (ironic) propaganda to me, brought to you by the show's
sponsors.  Of course it's dangerous, from the relatively benign possibility
of losing your life to couch-potatoism to the worse liklihood that a real
person was exploited to bring entertainment into your home--or the
possiblilty that you'll be exploited yourself.

>After reading that 1974 Penthouse interview I've been wondering if
The Lifehouse Experiment that Pete has talked about over the years *is* his
*current* artistic life.  The machine or programs referred to in Lifehouse
is The Who, aspiring to make that one perfect note.

That does seem to be where the idea came from.  Back in 1970 he'd stand up
there on the stage and watch the audience respond to The Who and think about
rock and roll as the new religion that could rescue the masses from
isolation and TV and bring them together at a real spiritual event.  His
mistake, as he says in the interview, was in trying to *make* it happen.
It's a sort of magic when people come together, and if it could be bottled
and sold, then lots more folks would be rich.

I think it's making contact with his fans through the Internet that has
recently resurrected Pete's old idea of somehow incorporating the audience
into the music.  That would be interesting, and fun to have a bit of music
that Pete Townshend (and his computer) composed especially for you.  But
again, it's trying to codify something that already happens inside Pete's
head.  Pete feels the feedback from the audience, and his subconscious
processes it and sends it back as song lyrics.  Computers have made
tremendous advances, but I doubt if they'll ever quite reproduce Pete's
head.

The ironic thing is that we've "come together" on the grid.  This is where
Who fans find one another, and where we can have contact with Pete through
his website.  Are we in error here?  Should we be out seeking for real life
experiences instead?

>The old men have come out of retirement to communicate with people
and lift them up.  He's sharing what he remembers from rock.  This is the
Greatest Hits/nostalgia tour, right?  Isn't that what happened in 2000?
Can't we expect that to happen again this year?

Maybe Pete's feeling guilty about being a guru of the grid, and thinks he
needs real life experience with the fans to be true to his ideals.

I don't think these are nostalgia tours.  It's necessary for Pete to really
feel the audience in order to produce music which expresses the cultural
consciousness.  Just listening to us hum around on the grid doesn't quite
provide the inspiration that real life contact does.  Pete may be doing the
tours to feel out his audience again and try to decide if he and we still
have anything in common.  He can rely on The Who's magic; it still works to
bring fans together in a grand assembly so he can meet them face to face.

Was it mostly an older crowd in 2000?  Is that what brought out the lyrics
on worrying about your kids and about mortality?  And a mixed crowd that
brought out the different voices in the Texas TKAA?  If they do a tour of
university towns this time, Pete may well come up with some lyrics that
express the concerns of younger fans.

keets