Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V9 #8

> I love the way they played "The Quiet One" on the '82 tour.  John did a
> fantastic job all around.  I mean he doesn't have the voice but it didn't
> even matter...it still rocked.  But why doesn't that song sound like the way
> it did there on the album...it sounds totally different.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the studio version of "The Quiet
One."  It rocks just as good as the live versions.  It's pretty much the same
tempo - fast & jerky.  Beautiful, weird, off-time opening & chorus pattern.
Jones is outstanding.  Seemlessly slipping his (mechanical?) rolls into that
punch-punch beat.  Wonderful!

But as always, it comes down to Pete.  And I think Pete's live soloing is a bit
more......narsty?

For me, though, the studio version wins out.

- SCHRADE in Akron