Re: New Who Album ? Pete's working on it.............Phwoar!

> > My picks for Pete's best work since WAY would be "Eminence Front," "How
>Can You Do It Alone" (the live improv version), and Flag TKAA from Texas
>(untitled).
>
>I would include "Another Tricky Day" which is still one of my favorite Who
>songs because of the music *&* the lyrics.  "How Can You Do It Alone,"
>though, has never grabbed me at all & seems to be an example of the
>"overworked" lyrics you spoke of. And yet you love it.

The bonus track is the one I like--the live improv.  The studio cut is
definitely over-worked, over-thought, and emotionally dead.

I'm really curious about "Eminence Front."  John has recently said he
created the riff that started it off.  Does anybody know the story of how
this one was composed?  I'll bet it's nearly an improv.

>And thinking about it further, I'm not sure "overworked" is the correct
>word to describe Pete's latter day lyrics.  I know what you're saying, mind
>you, but "overworked" seems only to imply too much thought & effort, & yet
>that doesn't hinder TOMMY or QUAD, both of which have very complex & well
>thought-out lyrics.

Whatever it is he's doing, it's taking the emotional resonance out of the
lyrics and replacing it with intellectualization.  Anybody can sit down and
put words on a piece of paper, and many people can even put them to music
and come out with a reasonable song.  Pete's big difference from these
ordinary folks is that he can create symbols that resonate and give extra
depth and meaning to the words.

This is the talent he needs to use for Who albums.  If he wants to
intellectualize his solo albums, then okay, his solo style lends to that.
But The Who needs fresher and rawer material.  I think it would be a mistake
to plan it ALL out ahead of time.

>I think any distastefull quality of Pete's latter day lyrics stems from the
>subject matter more so than the choice words, their structure, etc.

Do you have an example?

keets