RE: Ridin' The Who Wave !

>From: "Scott Schrade" <schrade@akrobiz.com>
>Subject: Re: New Who Album ?  Pete's working on it.
>
>I was surprised at the *amount* of snide comments about Roger.  I mean
>Pete almost always drops a few cracks on Roger during an interview.  I'm
>used to those.
> <small snip>  His tone seemed to suggest Roger had backed
>him into a corner.  That's why I theorized that Roger had recently talked
>with Pete & gave him the "We're gettin' old..." speech.  He convinced Pete
>to give him one more shot at a studio Who album.

Yeah, God bless Rog for pushing things.  We knew it would come down to RD
swinging the big stick.  But, it also seems as if Pete has his own plans for
The Who.  Like Pete was going to do all this all along, it just needed Rog
to quicken the pace.

>I bet Roger was just saying that by going into the studio he didn't want
The
>Who wasted on a couple of tracks that Pete would then slap onto his next
>theme-related release (can you say IRON MAN?).
>
>I think Roger is being honest & up-front here.  An underlying reason also
>might be that he (Roger) doesn't want Pete to waste valuable time trying to

>come up with some grand, meaningful concept to build an album around.
>Unrelated kick-ass songs would suit Roger & The Who (& me, too!) just
>fine.

Very valid and reasonable assumptions.  This all fits into my thinking of
Rog wanting to quicken the pace of this whole endeavor.
The Interview from SanDiego was pretty telling as well.  Kind of showed us
the dichotomy that is going on.  Roger wants The who in the studio as soon
as possible, even if there's no set plan.
Hey, can't blame him!!!  He wants The Who to capitalize on the current wave.
And, less anyone thinks differently, there is a BIG WHO WAVE just waiting
for our boys to drop in on!!  Pete sees it too and is reacting.  BUT, Pete
sees it a bit differently and wants a plan to ensure a productive and
successful recording session.  HEY, what ever they're comfortable with!!!!
If I were a betting man, I think Roger will be fine with a Pete Concept for
The Who, as long as it happens within a reasonable time frame.
And, I think Pete would be making a *BIG* mistake to take the momentum that
*The Who* has generated, and use it for his own purposes (ala Iron Man).  I
think *that* would be the straw that broke The Who's back.  I don't believe
that will happen.  Pete is into The Who.  He's digging it.  And, he's not
stupid, not by a long shot.

>Life in the Information Age!!  Viewpoints immediately known!!

It's pretty wild, isn't it??  We're enjoying access like never before!  I
tend to agree with some of the thinking over on O&S at the moment that Pete
should have left the original post up, and then simply posted another diary
entry to explain his dissatisfaction with the original post. *If* that's
really the reason for the removal.  Then again, I don't really care either
way.  I tend to think Pete is more calculating.  Like, "here my little Who
Children, here's a glimpse into why It's Hard", and then takes it away
knowing we've gotten our morsel of food yet the critics probably didn't
catch it.

>Lots of excitement being generated by this band that broke up in 1983!!
>Reunion tour ('89), QUAD tour ('96), stripped-down tour ('00), & next?
>A new studio album?  Is it too good to be true?

Look out!  Big Who Wave behind you!  Start paddling!  Holy shit it's at
least double overhead!  NOW!!!  Get up on that board and drop in!
Yaoooooooooowwwwwww!  Big and burley and tubing!  Greeeeeeeeeen Rooooooom!
Don't forget small "warm up" shows at small venues in UK, and then a 2002
tour.
The Who Gods are smiling on us my brothas, The Who Gods are smiling.

>From: Rich <legalize@xmission.com>
>Subject: Re: New Who Album ? Pete's working on it.
>
>> I was surprised at the *amount* of snide comments about Roger.
>
>Me too, but I'm encouraged by it.  Why?  The Who always seem to get
>their best work done when the fur is flying between Roger and Pete.
>You can't build a fire without sparks!

Yep.  It will all work out fine.  The Who would not be The Who without this
sort of tug of war.
Bring on the sparks, cause we *know* the fire still burns.

"By my religion
I stand here naked
I can not fake it
with God as witness!